Thursday, April 18, 2024

Quotables 18 April 2024: Joan Bennett on changing hair colour, and why no remembers good girls

Actress Joan Bennett by George Hurrell, circa 1932

There are hundreds of glamor girls in Hollywood, but actresses who are willing to let down their hair, are always in demand. Getting a salty role is like finding an old friend. One feels the significance of the character’.

I turned my hair dark and have received much better parts ever since’.

For ten years, with the exception of Little Women (1933) and Private Worlds (1935), I'd played the insipid blonde ingenue, short on brains, long on bank accounts, the victim in a love triangle, and, for some reason that now escapes me, I was often English. Suddenly, I found myself filming Trade Winds (1938) in a dark wig, and with eyes at half-mast and voice lowered an octave, I positively smoldered all over the South Seas’.

Let people hiss. They'll still be sore at the bad woman long after they've forgotten the nice girl who got the man’.

Few people remember good women. They don't forget bad girls’.


Copyright 2024, Arthur Newhook. @Sunking278 and @FloydEtcetera on X, and at the same handles on FACEBOOK. MASTODON - @ArthurNewhook@mastodon.world, BLUESKY - @arthurnewhook.bsky.social, and @arthurnewhook on POST. DONATIONS GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED at https://tinyurl.com/ArthurNewhook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

1957: Vikki Dougan dazzles and gleams

A monochrome portrait captures actress and pin-up girl Vikki Dougan, lensed by Earl Leaf, adorned in a sheer white nightgown, accompanied by...