Saturday, May 4, 2024

Kentucky Derby day: a reflection on the diminishing thrill of horse racing and beyond

Bill Brine/Wikimedia Commons

Perhaps some of you may recall my frequent posts on horse racing in the past. Today marks the Kentucky Derby, yet I find myself struggling to muster the excitement I once had. There's a pang of shame within me for this lack of enthusiasm. I used to anticipate this day eagerly, but over the past three or four years, my fervor for the sport has waned almost completely. Pinpointing the exact cause of this shift is elusive, though I will say the distressing frequency of horse fatalities weighs heavily on my conscience.

Nevertheless, there remains an unparalleled thrill in witnessing the intense competition as horses thunder toward the finish line, a sensation I yearn to experience anew. Sadly, my passion for many pursuits and hobbies has dimmed in recent years. The loss of my long-term girlfriend in 2017, followed by two more relationships that were utterly disastrous, myriad betrayals by former ‘friends’ in a 12-step cult from which I have long since disentangled myself, the turmoil of COVID, the ongoing political upheaval, the grief of losing pets, and financial woes - all of that and more have exacted a toll on my mental well-being.

Even my enjoyment of baseball, once a steadfast source of joy, has become increasingly elusive. I long to rekindle that fire within me, to recapture the exhilaration I once felt on Kentucky Derby day, and to feel truly alive once more. /rant

Copyright 2024, Arthur Newhook. @Sunking278 and @FloydEtcetera on X, and at the same handles on FACEBOOK. MASTODON - @ArthurNewhook@mastodon.world, BLUESKY - @arthurnewhook.bsky.social, and @arthurnewhook on POST. DONATIONS GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED at https://tinyurl.com/ArthurNewhook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotables 19 May 2024: Coleen Gray on daydreams of Hollywood stardom dampened by the harsh realities of a Hollywood career

A publicity shot of actress Coleen Gray for ‘ Kansas City Confidential ’, 1952. Photo: United Artists ‘ When I attended the University, I da...