Thursday, May 9, 2024

Quotables 9 May 2024: The matchless Lena Horne ponders whether 'second class' status be innate, delving into why women can never seem to triumph in a society that demands both sensuality and prudence from them; and extolls the greatness of Count Basie

Lena Horne. Photo: Bettmann/Getty Images

You have to be taught to be second class; you're not born that way. But the slanting process is so subtle that you frequently don't realize how you're being slanted until very late in the game’.

I don't have to be an imitation of a white woman that Hollywood sort of hoped I'd become. I'm me, and I'm like nobody else’.

'I'm not alone, I'm free. I no longer have to be a credit, I don't have to be a symbol to anybody; I don't have to be a first to anybody’.

The naked female body is treated so weirdly in society. It's like people are constantly begging to see it, but once they do, someone's a hoe’.

Count Basie isn't just a man, or even just a band. He's a way of life’.

Quotes via https://www.azquotes.com/author/6910-Lena_Horne

Copyright 2024, Arthur Newhook. @Sunking278 and @FloydEtcetera on X, and at the same handles on FACEBOOK. MASTODON - @ArthurNewhook@mastodon.world, BLUESKY - @arthurnewhook.bsky.social, and @arthurnewhook on POST. DONATIONS GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED at https://tinyurl.com/ArthurNewhook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotables 19 May 2024: Coleen Gray on daydreams of Hollywood stardom dampened by the harsh realities of a Hollywood career

A publicity shot of actress Coleen Gray for ‘ Kansas City Confidential ’, 1952. Photo: United Artists ‘ When I attended the University, I da...